Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Meet Steampunk Beauty!


If you've been here before, you know that I love Steampunk images, so I was absolutely delighted when I got Steampunk Beauty, which is one of SCACD's newest batch of digital stamps!

Steampunk Beauty was resized  in PhotoElements and printed out onto Neenah cardstock using my laser printer. The image was colored with Copic markers, the took a ride through my Big Kick inside a Nestabilities Petite Oval die. I kept the image panel in the die and sponged Tattered Rose Distress ink over the die around the image. I must say that I love, Love, LOVE the new Mini Ink Blending Tool by Ranger! The round shape affords much better and more even ink coverage and the new Round Mini Ink Replacement Foams are freakin' awesome too. What's even better is that you can wash them out using dish soap, then air dry them. Gotta love that!

When I was done die-cutting the image panel, I coated Steampunk Beauty's monocle and the watch-face with several layers of Gelly Roll Clear Glaze pen, letting the Glaze dry between each layer.

The patterned papers are all from the wonderful new Time Traveler's Memories 6x6 pad by Prima.  Actually, truth be told, I based my color palette on this lovely new paper palette. I was feeling a bit stuck design-wise, so I visited Paper Playful, and found a great sketch online at Crazy 4 Challenges (see below). I love sketches, they make project design so much easier!

Since I love Steampunk so very much, I seem to be collecting lots of Gear (and clock) dies and stencils. I initially pulled out my Gears stencil by The Crafter's Workshop and the Steampunk Lace stencil by ArtistCellar and sponged Distress inks over a script-text sheet from the Time Traveler's Memories 6x6 pad by Prima, but the result overwhelmed the gorgeous image. So I put it aside and will use it with another project!

Instead, I die-cut Brushed Metallic silver specialty paper by FiberMark (sadly defunct) using Memory Box's Gearworks Border. I also used Memory Box's Mini Gears die to die-cut some (screamingly cute) teeny tiny gears from the same paper. I added those to panel on the left side, then stacked some silvery metal gears (which I also collect due to my love of Steampunk) on top of the Gearworks Border. Tiny screw-top brads by Idea-ology were used to attach the metal gears to the die-cut ones. Mini Gears and some small punched hearts were added to the panel to fill some of the white space. Pink ribbon from my stash was used to attach a feather charm to the top of the panel.

Here's the sketch that I used!

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall enter this card in the following challenges!
Storyteller Challenges: Steampunk
Color Me Creative: Pretty Pastels
Craftitude: That's Dielicious
Crafts 4 Eternity: To Die For
SanDee and Amelie's Steampunk Challenges: Heavy Metal

7 comments:

  1. Awesome colouring and a beautifully designed card! Wow!
    LOVE every detail on it!
    Thanks for joining us at SASPC!!!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic card, Kathi! Love the papers and all the gears! Awesome coloring of the steampunk image!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathi, love all the embellies and the paper. Your image is colored wonderfully and the card is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect steampunk lady, beautiful colors !
    thank you for your participation at Sandee & Amelie steampunk challenges
    Coutureuse

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is stunning. I especially like the pastel greens with her vibrant red hair. Love the way you colored her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! I love how you added the feather and the ribbon for a little hint of pink!
    Thank you for joining SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!
    Hugs,
    Agnieszka

    ReplyDelete