Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Polka Dotted Birthday Card!

It had been a while since I had gotten out my Paper Artsy Fresco Finish Paints and played, so I decided to do so for the Stampotique Designer's Challenge #112 -- Polka Dots.

I love these paints and have been watching all the fabulous videos posted by Leandra, who is Mrs. Paper Artsy. I watched her create a background using the reverse side of Cut 'N Dry foam with the paints, so I decided to give that a go.

Here's what happened!



I sponged the paints onto 140 lb. Mixed Media paper by Strathmore, which holds up to a lot of abuses. When I was happy with the background, I got out a mess of stencils from The Crafter's Workshop and sponged a variety of greens over them.  I used Tiny Circles, Swiss Dots, Layered Beads, and one of my first TCW stencils, 12x12 Circles all Around.

When I was happy with it all, I edged it with Peeled Paint and Broken China Distress inks and put it aside.

In keeping with the Polka Dot theme, I stamped  Stampotique Originals' Owl with Wings (It's out of stock at SCACD but there are other stamps that are on sale. Just sayin'.) onto polka dot patterned paper from a Lost and Found 6x6 pad by My Mind's eye, then colored it using Copic markers. When I was done coloring the owl,  the piece was die cut using a Nestabiities Circle die, and kept in the die while I lightly traced around the interior with a C0 marker. The piece was removed from the circle die and I added a cloudy sky background behind the owl and the branch. I added Glossy Accents to the owl's eyes, then ran out to get my CSA share, which gave it time to dry without me being tempted to touch it!

Sentiments from justjohanna/Odd Bird Planet were stamped onto another polka dotted piece of patterned paper 'cause I was getting totally dotty! *grin*

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall enter this card in the following challenges:
Stampotique Designer's Challenge #112 -- Polka Dots.
Come and Get It Challenges: Things with Wings 
Hobby Cutz #13: Create Your Own Background

5 comments:

  1. Totally brilliant card, Kathi! Love the varied use of both color and size for your polka dots here. Great owl image paired beautifully with that sentiment! Well choreographed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm late blog hopping Kathi! This is a wonderful card, I love how you used the stamps! Thanks for sharing with us at Stampotique :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this card, Kathi! That owl is just too cute, especially his eyes! And I really love all the work you put into the background! The colors and different dots are just so unique! :^)
    Hugs, Penny
    P.S. Hate to mention this, but you are a bit dotty all the time. (It takes one to know one.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful card, love the polka dot background that you made. Thanks for joining us for our Winged Things challenge at Come and Get It.
    Cindy DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card with cute owl image. Love your "dots" background.
    Thank you for joining us at Hobbycutz. We hope to see you again.
    Have a nice day,
    Natali

    ReplyDelete