Friday, July 19, 2013

The Usual Suspects

This idea came to my mind the first time I saw Stampotique's Line Up stamp. Then being me, the thought slipped into the deep recesses of my mind. So when Stampotique released the Birdy Up stamp, it resurfaced for a bit, only to sink again. Then last weekend, I was watching television and I saw a line up, the idea surfaced yet again. This time, I wrote myself a note and the next time I sat down at my computer, I created a line up using the drawing module of AppleWorks.

A few days passed and this morning I made this card:
























The computer-generated line up was printed onto greyish/white cardstock and set aside. I stamped Birdy Up onto white Neenah cardstock using Tuxedo Black Memento ink and then colored it with Copic markers. All four birds were fussy cut and little slits were cut where their wings meet their bodies.

Little strips were die cut using a very old QuicKutz die and rub-on numbers were added to each one. The number strips were slid under the birds' wings and then the birds were adhered to my line up, which was mounted to the front of a card.

A rectangular aperture was cut into woodgrain patterned paper from a My Mind's Eye 6x6 pad. White strips were mitered onto the aperture's opening to make it look more window-like.

The sentiment was computer generated and printed onto an ink jet transparency. The transparency was adhered underneath the wood grained paper. This combination of transparency and patterned paper was adhered to the card front over the line up using dimensional foam adhesive.

By the way, I chose these blah-ish colors because I wanted this to look "institutional". I did try to add texture/dimension with both brick embossing folders and brick stencils, but both brick patterns competed with the printed line up.

This card makes me happy because it's one of the rare occasions when a project comes out the way I had envisioned it in "my mind's eye", though I must say that "clean and simple" is mostly clean and difficult for me! :D

I shall enter this card in the following challenges:
Stampotique Designers' Challenge #109: Clean and Simple
Crafting by Designs: Anything Goes
Crafts and Me: Anything Goes
The House that Stamps Built: Humor Me
 • Blogger's Challenge: Things with Wings

16 comments:

  1. hilarious, love how you used the birds on this. Thanks for joining us at blogger's challenge and Stampotique Designer's Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely BRILLIANT! Thank you for joining the Stampotique Designer's Challenge this week. Gez

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic!!!! Thanks for sharing your creation at SDC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is simply fantastic!! Such a very clever, funny idea and beautifully executed too :)
    Don't you love it when a plan comes together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant Kathi, I really did laugh out loud! A fab idea beautifully executed. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stampotique DC. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magical! Love, love, love the humor in this birthday card! Thanks for sharing the "how to" on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is hysterical! You should work for the funny dept of Hallmark! And the way you did the numbers was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a funny card! Great use of images!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, Kathi, this is too funny! What a fabulous, creative, fun card! I love everything about it! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh MY!! I can't stop laughing. What an awesome card. Thank you for playing along with us at Crafting by Designs.

    Tammy S.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really Brilliant card and idea haha, I LOVE it !!! Congrats for the win, well deserved ! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant card, made me really smile :D Congratulations on being chosen a favourite, well deserved x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! Love it! Thank you for joining Stampotique Designer's Challenge. Magda :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun! Love how you used the images, very creative! Thanks for playing along with the Bloggers Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. On my I giggled and giggled some more. THis is a perfect Wonderful creation. Thank you for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge. Hope to see you again soon.
    Sarinda

    ReplyDelete