Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Recycling!

Here are three hanging thingies I've been working on lately. They can be used on a card, as "decor", a keychain, or a necklace.

Inside photo:


Outside photo:


The "thingies" started life as scrapbooking embellishments by K&Company. They were metal with epoxy images in them with dangling charms. The images were nothing I'd ever use, but I kept the embellishments because I knew I wanted to do something with them eventually. I just didn't know what.

I decided to see if I could pry up the epoxy images. I inserted a scissor blade under the images and they popped right out leaving a recessed framed area. Yahoo!!!

Then I looked through my stamp collection for something that would work in such a small area (13/16" x 2.25"). I had a "Eureeka!" moment with the Nature Spirit Domino set by The Enchanted Gallery . I did have to trim the sides of the images, but enough was left to work for me. Note to self: take a second look at stamps and remember that parts can work as well as the whole!

I stamped the three images and the wood image onto white cardstock, colored them with Copic markers, then adhered them on the metal embellishments using Liquid Laminate by Beacon. I then coated them with another layer of Liquid Laminate and let it dry overnight. I swapped out the charms that had been on the original embellishments with ones that worked better with the images.

The photo washes out the color and shading a bit, so when it's sunnier and cooler, I'll take them outside and try again.

Thanks for visiting today!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, these are just awesome Kathi! Recycling at it's best!

    ReplyDelete