Friday, June 29, 2007

Experiments in alcohol ink!





I've been itching to try Ranger's Alcohol Inks on Junkitz' plain white Tilez for ages and finally had the time, inclination, and opportunity!

Hmm. I just now noticed that the tilez scanned as different sizes. My brain is too befuddled to fix this now, so I'll just say that both tiles are the same size and measure 1 11/16" wide x 1.5" deep.

The Post-It note book features a Junkitz white tile which was inked with alcohol inks and stamped with justjohanna's Staff, Sylvie Left, and Sylvie right. Treble, and Michelle's Big Scroll were also used on the project. I also used 4" chipboard coasters, a big honkin' slide mount, some old metallic mesh stuff from my stash, a clear plastic winky dink also from my stash, and Ranger's Queen's Gold Embossing powder.

Meadow, Lettuce, and Bottle Ranger Adirondack Alcohol inks were pounced onto the tile using a felt applicator. I lightened the image a bit using Ranger's blending solution, then reapplied a bit more ink. When I was happy with the coverage, I stamped the images using Ranger's archival black ink. I took the tile outside and sprayed it with Krylon Acrylic something or another to protect the piece. The spray took away a bit of the ink, but created a cool mottled look.

I inked all sides of the two coasters with Ranger's Meadow, Lettuce, and Bottle Adirondack Dye inks. I spritzed 'em with water to make the ink spread a little. I ironed 'em dry and used a VersaMark pad to stamp Michelle's Big Scroll repeatdly on one side of each coaster and embossed Queen's Gold Embossing Powder.

I scribbled on the slide mount with Krylon's Gold Leafing pen and then pounced the same three green alcohol inks onto it. The slide mount was edged with the leafing pen. I adhered the Gold Mesh to the slide mount and then backed the mesh with Ivy Bling paper from FiberMark. Minibrads were used to adhere the stamped tile to the center of the slide mount.

VersaMark was used to stamp the treble clef on the plastic disk and then embossed it with Queen's Gold. I was very happy (and a little surprised) that the disk didn't melt.

I adhered the ribbon to the front of the coaster, added the slide mount, adhered the Post-It note to the inside back cover, adhered the ribbon to the back cover, and tied a big bow!

The bird pin features justjohanna's Sophie Left. Stonewash, Denim, and Cranberry Ranger Adirondack Alcohol inks were used in the same way described above. After the tile was colored to my liking, I stamped the bird onto it using Ranger's black archival ink. I squirted some of the Alcohol Ink Blending Solution onto my craft mat and dipped a Tsukineko Fantastix into the solution. I carefully removed the alcohol ink from the bird's body re-dipping the point of the Fantastix into more Blending solution as needed. I messed up in a few places and removed the outline, so I used a black fine-point Sharpie to touch it up. I again used the Krylon Acrylic spray, but it lightened up the piece substantially and really mottled the surface much more. However, I was pleased with the look, so it's all good. I finished the piece with some rhinestones from my stash, added a self-adhesive pin back, and called it done!

It was fun to play with my alcohol inks again and to work on some 3D pieces!

6 comments:

  1. they both turned out beautiful! I am partial to the purple - only because it is my favorite color!
    awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are good! I never tried alcohol inks and you impress me as this is your first time! I love the color of the first one! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome stuff with those alcohol inks Kath! So, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so good at playing with your alcohol inks! And I love how the birdies look on those tiles. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is always so pristine Kath.......... love the stuff!

    ReplyDelete