Monday, October 28, 2013

Relaxin' with Lace and Fabric!

Since I returned from vacation, I've been playing catch up with my dt responsibilities and other stuff, like cleaning my house.

I finally got a chance to play with my Stampotique stamps again (They missied me!) and participate in the current Stampotique Designers Challenge, which was to use lace or fabric.

You may or may not know, but I am sewing impaired and can barely hand-sew a button, let alone use a sewing machine. This stems from my days in Home Economics in seventh grade when I sewed my finger to a slip. Do you remember full slips and/or Home Economics? Suffice to say, sewing a line of stitches through my left index finger was fairly traumatic. It hurt. It bled, and it made my Home Ec teacher pass out. Big fun. The nurse had to attend to her before attending to me, so I was literally stuck to the sewing machine and bleeding all over the slip while they revived her and walked her out of the classroom. Then they had to get me off of the sewing machine. Not fun at all. And I failed the course.

So using fabric was a stretch for me. Fortunately, I had the Tiny Attacher, which allowed me to attach lace to my card. Incidentally,  I also recently used the Tiny Attacher to fix a hem, which had come undone.

Now that you're reeling from disgust from the blood, gore, pathos, and suchlike and are feeling sorry for my family because of my missing domestic skills, I'll bore you with my card.

Here it is! By the way, the red isn't as neon as below. I hate neon...



Stampotique's* Relaxin' was stamped with Tuxedo Black Memento ink and colored with Copic markers which I'll list below. I colored her to match the papers chosen from the 302 6x6 pad by Farmhouse (which is on sale!). I also used a sheet of patterned by from the Origins collection by Basic Grey. Pebbles Palette Chalk was used to add a touch of color to her cheeks.

Lace from my stash was left au naturel and attached to either side of the stamped panel using the aforementioned Tiny Attacher. Other lace, also from my stash, was colored with a BG marker to be all matchy-matchy with the patterned paper, then attached to the top and bottom using the ever-so-useful Tiny Attacher. Papers were edged with Distress ink, layered, and some red lace was adhered (guess how!).

A circle was punched from the yellow Origins paper and adhered to a clear button using Diamond Glaze adhesive by Judikins. I found a red heart button in my stash and stacked it onto the clear button with aqua-ish Scrapper's Floss. I curled the ends around a paintbrush.

Red canvas was die-cut using the Alterations Mini Tattered Florals die. The three red die-cuts were crushed, folded, and tortured 'til they cried for mercy. Um no. They were crushed to distress 'em and leave creases which were sponged with Gathered Twigs Distress ink. They were stacked with petals offset, and the heart/clear button was added to the center of the flower. The flower was in turn adhered to the top corner of the card front.

The card was finished with sparkly glitter sticker letters that spells out the sentiment.

Thanks for visiting today!

* Stampotique stamps are also available at SCACD and some are on sale! Sales are good. Saving money gives you more money to send to me.

Copic markers used:
Skin: E000, E00, E21, BV0000, BV00
Blouse: E81, E84
Tie, Hearts, Chair: R22, R24, R46
Hat, Skirt: BG11, BG23, BG34
Stockings, Shirt: Y02, Y04, Y06, Y18
Background:W00, W0, W1, W2, W4, W5

I shall be entering this card in the following challenges:
Stampotique Designer Challenge #122: Fabric or Lace 
Simon Says Monday: Anything Goes
Avenue 613 Challenge #43: Anything Goes
Creative Moments Challenge #28: Use Lace

12 comments:

  1. I loved reading of your sewing adventures - I needed that laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific card, Kathi! I am loving those colors and trims and perfectly placed embellies, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful card I can relate to your sewing mishap as I done the same at school so have never touched a sewing machine again lol thanks for joining us at creative moments challenge xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a gorgeous creation, love how you colorized Relaxin'!!
    thanks for playing along with the Stampotique Designer challenge :)))
    xx
    france

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colours on this fab card! Love it. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card Kathi, I love your layers. I hope you've got over your traumatic experience with the sewing machine lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your card Kathi, the best for me (and very stunning !) is that Relaxin' becomes pretty in these colours and with this lace !!! And I'm like you, I'm even not able to sew a button... Doh! Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, good luck with me sending you money. Ha!
    Secondly, you should have passed that course just because you sewed your finger to the slip--that takes real talent. (I had to put the zipper in my dress over and over and over again. Never did have it looking right. Spent a whole week on that da** zipper!) (Oh, and I was cooking noodles in class and lifted the pan off the stove. The lid started to go--it was save the noodles or the lid. I saved the noodles. The lid broke--it was glass. Teacher was not impressed--I was--we at least had noodles for our dish!) You could say I am domestically-challenged as well. Or not. Whatev.
    So glad you got your frustrations out by crushing your die cuts. Which look fab btw, just as your card does! Love that image, the coloring, your design and all that "attached" lace! Great card! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh this card is so cool! Love stampotique stamps! And the colors you've chosen are stunning. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you can see the humor in your HomeEc mishap these days, Kathi! An unbelievable story, to be sure. Also, thank goodness for the tiny attacher...which can perform a whole host of duties! Love your card and Relaxin'! Beautiful frame-up (creatively done)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card, funny story! I remember Home Economics and I remember my last class in Home Ec. That is the class in I was in when the announcement came over the speaker at school that President Kennedy had been assassinated. They sent us all home that day and when we returned to school, I could not bring myself to finish the garment. I didn't need the class anyway, so my Principal allowed me to withdraw. It was years before I could even go near a sewing machine.

    Thanks for playing along with us here at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are hysterical! and I can't believe they failed you for that, you were being nice by showing what NOT to do haha! Love your card and kudos for finding a way to make the lace work and yes, I am impressed you found a way to add a flower!

    ReplyDelete