Sunday, November 11, 2012

Last of the "Done in the Dark" cards. I hope!

This one took that proverbial "Left Turn at Albuquerque", but I kinda like how it came out.



Here's Little Draco from Susana Loves Stamps' new Mythical Reflections collection.

I'll mention that I love dragons and have always been entranced by them. When I was a little girl, I loved My Father's Dragon and as a young adult, I fell in love with Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Rider series. I think that I've read the entire series at least a half dozen times.

After stamping Little Draco with Tuxedo Black Memento ink, I decided that Little Draco should be a golden dragon, so I colored her with Y21, Y23, Y26, and Y29.

Then my coloring took that left turn. I decided that I wanted her belly, scales, and talons to contrast with her golden hide. I was playing around with Copic feather blending and really liked the combo of B0 series with the V0 series, so off I went.

When I was happy with the dragon, I decided that I should place her in front of a castle, in the grass, so I coated her with a layer of Winsor & Newton masking fluid. When the fluid was dry, I taped two pieces of Post-It note paper together to mask the upper portion. I grabbed an old Pebbles stencil and sponged Peeled Paint, Mowed Lawn, and Pine Needles Distress ink over the grass bit, moving it around as I sponged to create a variegated lawn. Then I moved the Post-Its and sponged Pumice Stone, Tea Dye, and a bit of Gathered Twigs Distress inks for the "mortar" and then grabbed my trusty Bricks stencil by The Crafter's Workshop and sponged Rusty Hinge and Aged Mahogany over it to form the castle's stonework.

When I went to remove the mask, things got weird. Apparently masking fluid contains latex. Latex doesn't like it when it's cold and my house was downright chilly with the temperature hovering around 54°. The dried mask was all shiny and resisted the usual method of removal, which is a Glue Eraser. I really had to scrub at it, which resulted in some paper pilling and made the texture of the cardstock feel very odd. It removed some of the ink, so I ended up having to outline Little Draco to make him pop out a bit more.

I decided to keep the focus on the stamped scene and used some of SCACD's wonderfully intricate Garden Corners dies to frame it. Then I added SCACD's Ornate Hinge with the key that I cut from the Fancy Flower & Key set of dies. I added three Zva Creative Rhinestones to accent the Ornate Hinge.

Oh yeah. The patterned paper is from the 6x6 Boxer pad by Basic Grey! It's an old collection, but I still love its classic colors and patterns. Fortunately, I still have a sizeable stash. What a shock. Not. :D

Thanks for visiting today.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool and creative card, Kathi! Great papers and details and a terrific image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It figures that you read Anne McCaffrey's books--I did, too! LOL! I am a dragon lover from way back. (One of my favorite TV shows is Merlin.)
    Back to your fabulous card: I love the design, the scene you created (way cool), your beautiful dragon, and those gorgeous die cuts! You have made me want to get more SCACD dies (I only have the clock corner.), so my hubby thanks you so much for that--NOT!
    Yup, this is a winner in my dragon book! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! What a great scene you've created! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the contrast between the claws and the body, wonderful and I am sooo buying some of that masking fluid next time I go to the art store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have guessed that you had trouble with your masking fluid. This card is beautiful and the dragon just glows.

    I love dragons too and have a number of different dragon images.

    ReplyDelete