Friday, April 17, 2009

Peek-A-Boo card!



I love challenges, don't you? There's a great one going on right now at the Bombshell Stamps forum at Paper Craft Planets. It's for a "Peek-A-Boo" card. There's a prize involved, so be sure to check it out! Also, if you register at that forum, you get 20% off your first Bombshell Stamps order, so it's definitely worth stopping by!

This challenge was fun because it took some time to figure out how to "engineer" the card and how to place all the elements. I decided to create an underwater scene that would be visible from the belowdeck portholes of a yacht or ship. It was especially challenging since I've never been on a cruise or on a yacht for that matter, though I did travel on a ferry between Hoek van Holland and Harwich. Our ferry "room" did NOT have portholes.

Anyways, the stamps are all Bombshell Stamps. I used these sets:
Mermaid Treasure: mermaid, fishes, treasure chest, and sea plants/weeds
Mermaid Anchor: rope
Ahoy Sailor: life-ring and anchor
Homeward Bound: "Sea You Soon"

I chose two-sided patterned paper from Cosmo Cricket because it was cardstock weight and had a wood-grained pattern on one side that I thought would work for the woodwork of a yacht. The "portholes" are FiberMark specialty paper, that was cut with a QuicKutz ring die. There's "glass", which was cut from remnants of a Hammermill Inkjet transparency. I used a "T" diecut as a hook to hang the very, very, abysmally poorly cut life ring. I must've flunked scissors in Kindergarten 500 years ago. How sad. :(

The underwater scene was stamped in Memento ink. The mermaid, treasure chest, rope, and anchors were colored with Copic markers. The "sand" is Distress ink and the "water" is stippled Nick Bantock ink. Nicole reminded me that I had neglected to say that I used Art Glitter for the "treasure". I wish I had added a bit of silver glitter as well, because the gold glitter fades into the "sand". IRL, the treasure is much glitterier. My scanner hates bling.

I used a ZipEMate die to cut the nameplate for the sentiment.

Thanks for visiting today!

9 comments:

  1. Amazing card, Kathi.

    Did you use glitter or Stickles for the treasure?

    All around awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cute! Love the way you add such detail on the inside and out! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable card! I love the peek a boo technique, that's too cute!
    Hugs, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmyword, this is flippin' fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is just fantastic Kathi! You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another unique card. The scene you created is so, so awesome. You really know how to do scenes well.

    ReplyDelete